Tuesday, 17 January 2012

Rabi'a al-Adawiyya رابعہ بصری


Rabi'a al-Adawiyya
Islamic scholars say that there are three reasons why people stay on the path that Allah has shown to man.

1. Fear of Hell.
2. Longing for Paradise.
3. For Allah only.

Scholars also state that Allah will accept all of these reasons. However, the third reason is seen as the best motivation. 

In the tradition of Rabi’a we see a number of writings in which she clearly states that there can be only one real goal.

I carry a torch in one hand
And a bucket of water in the other:
With these things I am going to set fire to Heaven
And put out the flames of Hell
So that voyagers to God can rip the veils
And see the real goal.

In an other version;

I am going to quench the fires of Hell and burn
Heaven, so that both these barriers to understanding
shall vanish from the eyes of pilgrims, so that they may seek Truth without hope or fear.


An other anecdote’;

If I adore You out of fear of Hell, burn me in Hell!

If I adore you out of desire for Paradise,

Lock me out of Paradise.

But if I adore you for Yourself alone,

Do not deny to me Your eternal beauty.


It is told how another time she was on her way to Makkah, and when half-way there she saw the Ka’ba coming to meet her and she said,

‘It is the Lord of the house whom I need, what have I to do with the house? I need to meet with Him Who said, ‘Whose approaches Me by a span’s length I will approach him by the length of a cubit.’ The Ka’ba which I see has no power over me; what joy does the beauty of the Ka’ba bring to me?’

Asked whether she hated Satan, she said she did not. “I love Allah, but I do not hate Satan. Love leaves no room for anything else in the heart”


My Greatest Need Is You

Your hope in my heart is the rarest treasure
Your Name on my tongue is the sweetest word
My choicest hours
Are the hours I spend with You --
O Allah, I can't live in this world
Without remembering You--
How can I endure the next world
Without seeing Your face?
I am a stranger in Your country
And lonely among Your worshippers:
This is the substance of my complaint.


Book: Doorkeeper Of The Heart
Versions of Rabi'a by, Rabi'a al-Adawiyya and Charles Upton

  • Afshan SiddiqiHirman Jot and Ima Ceo like this.

    • Ima Ceo sipppppppppppp
      August 21, 2011 at 1:14am 

    • Hirman Jot who is on HIS path, all r going their own way, those who walk HIS way shine/glow from 100's of miles, rest all is just show off
      August 21, 2011 at 2:14am

No comments:

Post a Comment