Tuesday, 10 January 2012

This is like the presence and love of God in our lives...


It was a busy morning, about 8:30, when an elderly gentleman in his 80's arrived to have stitches removed from his thumb. He said he was in a hurry as he had an appointment at 9:00 am.

I took his vital signs and had him take a seat, knowing it would be over an hour before someone would to able to see him. I saw him looking at his watch and decided, since I was not busy with another patient, I would evaluate his wound.

On examining,I saw that it was well healed, so I talked to one of the doctors, got the needed supplies to remove his stitches and redress his wound. While taking care of his wound, I asked him if he had another doctor's appointment this morning, as he was in such a hurry. The gentleman told me no, that he needed to go to the nursing home to eat breakfast with his wife. I inquired as to her health.

He told me that she had been therefor a while and that she was a victim of Alzheimer's Disease. As we talked, I asked if she would be upset if he was a bit late. He replied that she no longer knew who he was, that she had not recognized him in five years now. I was surprised, and asked him, "And you still go every morning, even though she doesn't know who you are?"

He smiled as he patted my hand and said, "She doesn't know me, but I still know who she is."

I had to hold back tears as he left, I had goose bumps on my arm, and thought, 'That is the kind of love I want in my life.'

  • Shakti Maa · Friends with Ranjan Ravi and 1 other
    It is about her tears today.
    August 29, 2011 at 11:24pm ·  ·  2

  • Metha Buysman · Friends with Noor Hussain and 9 others

    When you really love someone, you want to see your love any second of your life.....you love the color of his/her eyes, the movement of his/her hands.....the way she/he moves.....everything and everything,,, and you don't want to miss any s...See More

    August 29, 2011 at 11:28pm ·  ·  3

  • Wayne Ferguson This is like the presence and love of God in our lives...
    August 29, 2011 at 11:34pm ·  ·  2

  • Afshan Siddiqi 
    August 30, 2011 at 12:23am ·  ·  1

  • Mimosa Lamore · Friends with Guthema Roba
    Deep L♥ve
    August 30, 2011 at 12:26am ·  ·  3

  • Lovely...Lovely...thanks Jawaid..this is the essence of loving someone..
    August 30, 2011 at 1:15am ·  ·  3

  • Ranjan Ravi 
    August 30, 2011 at 1:56am ·  ·  1

  • Dorje Vajra · Friends with Vincent Cole and 1 other
    ♥ thanks....simply..a great post.
    August 30, 2011 at 3:12am ·  ·  1

  • Cheryl Jernigan Chafatelli Beautiful
    August 30, 2011 at 3:46am ·  ·  1

  • Just goes to show you are never to old to have fun!!!!!
    August 30, 2011 at 3:55am ·  ·  1

  • wah! ♥ That is the kind of love I want to give in my life ♥. Thank-you Beloved Dost! huuuuuuuuuuu ♥
    August 30, 2011 at 6:58am ·  ·  1

  • Om Pure Beauty
    August 30, 2011 at 8:46am ·  ·  1

  • Cairo Kerrie Love always knows....
    And Love always grows♥

    August 30, 2011 at 1:46pm ·  ·  2

  • Anna Novikov · Friends with Jim Cole and 1 other
    Touched my heart...thank you! ♥
    August 31, 2011 at 8:24am ·  ·  1

  • Mary Dunlop · Friends with Ranjan Ravi and 2 others
    Mine too...thank you Jawaid ♥
    August 31, 2011 at 9:28am ·  ·  1

  • Emily Andrew ♥♥♥
    September 4, 2011 at 10:26am ·  ·  1

  • Farhat Mansoob ♥ ♥ ♥ ..........................................♥ ♥ ♥
    September 4, 2011 at 1:08pm ·  ·  1

  • Memon Kashif SOOPER :-))
    September 4, 2011 at 3:50pm ·  ·  1

  • Even the aged play simply to show they're onced at play...And now that they became old,they became young again...The very nature of humans.This 1 developmental stage of which individual's normallly undergo, oftentimes...misinterpreted and misunderstood by them who have'nt grown old yet!Thanks..1 great share of 1 great moment in man's time.Lovely!
    September 10, 2011 at 9:48am ·  ·  3

  • ToddandIvy Hanna this really touched my heart.......
    September 17, 2011 at 11:36am ·  ·  2

No comments:

Post a Comment